Ideal for family gatherings/reunions, and wedding party or honeymoon accommodation, our house is one of the warmest (and most stable, temperature-wise) in Castle Hill Village, due to 20+ tonnes of thermal mass in the heavily insulated slab, coupled with 50+ tonnes of 350mm+ diameter Douglas Fir logs in the walls, and R5+ roof insulation. With a bright, sunny, north and west facing aspect to maximise passive solar gain, the beautiful mountain landscape of the Castle Hill Basin floods into the living areas.
Your stay at The Doug is exclusive; i.e. our rental costs cover your exclusive use of the house, you do not share with others.
- Sleeps 9 in comfort (can sleep approx 12 depending on configuration)
- Two queen bedrooms; one down, one upstairs
- Bunk room, sleeps 5 (one double, 3 singles; all decent inner-sprung mattresses)
- Sofa-bed in upstairs lounge area
- 2 bathrooms, both with toilet and shower
- Open-plan living/dining/kitchen
- Separate, second lounge area upstairs
- Mudroom/wet entrance
- Sheltered veranda with swing chairs
- Spacious sunny deck
- TV with Freeview satellite receiver
- DVD & VHS players
- Stereo with USB capability
- Log burner & wetback (stacks of dry firewood provided)
- Solar hot water, with a back up mains boost if required
- Phone (for incoming or local calls only)
- Oven, with timer
- Washing machine
- Circulating fans
- Duvets & pillows provided
(linen/towels are extra; otherwise BYO)
- Burglar alarm
- Foosball (table football)!
- Extensive library of books and magazines (NZ Geographic, Wilderness, The Climber, NZAJ, etc.)
- Free Wi-Fi
Please be aware that there are no cafes/shops etc in the village. The nearest eateries are at Bealey Hotel, Arthurs Pass and Springfield; the nearest small shops are at Arthurs Pass and Springfield, while the nearest supermarket is in Darfield; you should aim to be self-sufficient for the duration of your stay.